Media

What You Need To Know About Gold

Monday, August 20, 2018

If you are planning to purchase a gold wedding ring, engagement ring, or a piece of fashion jewelry, it is important to know what your metal options are. Very different from the carat, which is the weight measurement for diamonds, the purity measurement for gold is Karat, abbreviated K. This indicates the percentage of gold in the metal.

Below, we’re going to list the percents of purity related to karat.

  • 24 karat 99.95+% gold
  • 22 karat 91.6% gold
  • 18 karat 75.0% gold
  • 14 karat 58.5% gold
  • 10 karat 41.7% gold
  • 9 karat 37.5% gold

Jewelry in the United States is most often manufactured in 10K, 14K, or 18K. Other countries may use 22K or 9K. Because gold is a soft metal and can bend or scratch fairly easily, you typically will not find 24K gold rings or other jewelry. Other metals are mixed with the gold to make the metal harder. For example, with 18K gold jewelry, i.e. 75% gold, the remaining 25% is composed of other metals.

In addition to hardness, the karat of gold also has an impact on the price. The higher karat gold jewelry will have a greater value, all other factors being equal. Therefore, a large variety of gold jewelry can fit a wide range of budgets. Determining what is important to you will help you decide on the type of gold jewelry to choose.

If you’re in the market for gold jewelry, we would love to help you find just the right piece. Stop by our store in Morehead City or Emerald Isle and talk with one of our experienced jewelers today!

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER