We know how important your jewelry is to you and we understand that when you travel and go on vacation that you may not want to leave it behind. However, it’s important to make sure that you keep your jewelry safe and protected at all times while you’re traveling – especially those very valuable and sentimental pieces.
Our first recommendation for traveling with your jewelry is to make sure that it is properly insured. You likely have insurance on your engagement and wedding rings, however you may have other valuable and irreplaceable jewelry that may not be covered. Check with your insurance company and verify that you have all of your pieces covered and covered at the correct value.
Before you decide to bring those expensive jewelry pieces with you, here are some questions to ask yourself:
- What activities will you be doing? Will you be relaxing on the beach or attending a fancy event?
- Will you really miss your jewelry if you leave it at home?
- Will your jewelry attract the wrong type of attention? Will your jewelry make you a target for theft or pick pocketing?
- Will you have somewhere safe to leave your jewelry if you choose not to wear it?
Depending on where you’re going and what you’re doing, it may not be necessary to wear your engagement and wedding rings and other valuables. Consider a ring finger alternative, such as a cubic zirconia ring or silicone band.
If you do decide to bring your jewelry along on your trip, here are several things to consider before your trip:
- Purchase a travel jewelry case. This will help keep all your jewelry in one secure place.
- Use straws to keep necklaces from tangling.
- If you’re flying, place your jewelry in your carry-on or wear it. Checked bags are more likely to get lost.
- The closer your jewelry is to you, the less likely it is to get lost or stolen.
Traveling should be fun, relaxing and enjoyable. Don’t let losing an important piece of jewelry ruin your next trip or vacation. Make sure to take proper precautions to protect and keep your meaningful jewelry safe at all times.